On the afternoon of Nov. 7th, the English Corner was launched on Yanliang Campus, which attracted about 100 students. Jeff delivered an inspiring speech on how to communicate with a foreigner and proposed the following tips.
1. Some topics should not be talked about, such as politics and money.
2. Talk to foreigners. Don’t talk about them.
3. Start the conversation with “Hello”. Don’t assume all the white people speak English well.
4. Avoid comparison.
5. Ask questions that foreigners can answer. Ask open-ended questions instead of close-ended ones to acquire more information.
6. Find the common ground and talk about topics most people are interested in.
7. Take into account where the conversation takes place.
These tips will help students considerably when they interact with foreigners in English.